PROTECT IP Act and Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)

Discussion in 'Interweb News & Views' started by Azhria Lilu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. AWS

AWS Long Time Gone

Style:
    AdEx 4.0
    This will send us all back to the BBS days. It some ways that could be a good thing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mike54
    Innocent

Mike54 Well-Known Member

I often wonder if senility might be setting in, but I remember those old BBS days as being a lot of fun.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Onimua
    Murderous

Onimua Active Member

Yeah, but he'll sign it anyway and just include a statement that he's disappointed with it. :rolleyes:
  4. Shawn Gossman
    Cowboy

Shawn Gossman Well-Known Member

As an American, I think this is a kick in you know what to the people! The reason is because SOPA and PIPA threaten online businesses, ones that are doing everything right and legal but with these two new bills, some businesses may not have a chance. Now let us think that through.... Americans keep stressing over the fact that there is a lot of job loss... The government keeps looking for ways to get more jobs.... The job market on the internet is growing more and more each day... These two bills may result in online business closure and in turn result in job loss... HMMMMMMM!!!!!

Isn't internet control lovely?

I urge everyone to be against these two bills, that is if you care about freedom of censorship on our World Wide Web... note I used the term "our"... If these bills make it through, it will no longer be "our" internet, it will be an internet that "they" may allow you to enjoy or at least enjoy what is left of it ;)

That's my few cents :)
  5. Mike54
    Innocent

Mike54 Well-Known Member

Don't start dancing in the streets just yet, but it now appears SOPA is going to die in committee.

Read more...

We need to be mindful that PIPA is still alive in the Senate, but Leahy is backing down on it, as well. It is my hope the decision made by Eric Cantor will be seen as wise and PIPA will go away.
    Power to the People!
  6. Azhria Lilu
    Amused

Azhria Lilu Make the stupid people shut up.

Jimmy Wales has announced Wikipedia is staging a blackout on the 18th Jan to protest SOPA and PIPA

Tweet Link
  7. Shawn Gossman
    Cowboy

Shawn Gossman Well-Known Member

There are a lot of big names supporting SOPA and PIPA mainly because they are a big brand name of their niche and want to remain that. But if you notice, those who oppose the bills are the websites and services online that everyone goes to daily for fun and entertainment ;) I hope more of those who oppose it will also participate in the blackout :)
  8. Brad
    Mellow

Brad Supporting Member

Lemme know if you ever want to take a shot are recapturing the magic. You older guys get together with me and we'll see what we can do about it. ;)

SOPA is of no worry to me now, it's going to die in the House and if not there, in the White House. ;)

PIPA we need to be mindful of but I don't think they're too hopeful about getting it passed, and if they are still interested in trying to make it work I think the internet community is showing that we're in no way going to put up with this. No one wants to piss off the voters either. You start shutting down wikipedia and some other large sites people use all of the time and see how they'll react come next time to vote.
  9. Mike54
    Innocent

Mike54 Well-Known Member

It sounds like several large sites are still planning to black-out tomorrow. Which is a good reminder it's really not over until it's over.
  10. Zylantex
    Heartbroken

Zylantex A legend in his own mind

Ironically The Pirate Bay is open tomorrow for business as usual. :roflmao:
  11. Brad
    Mellow

Brad Supporting Member

Yep, and using magnet links, which basically means they are no longer hosting .torrent files and the entire site can be mirrored on a thumb drive now.
  12. Zylantex
    Heartbroken

Zylantex A legend in his own mind

[This comment has been removed due to copyright infringement.]
  13. Azhria Lilu
    Amused

The Oatmeal has blacked out today... they have to win points for their blackout page - http://theoatmeal.com
    • Like Like x 1
  14. jmurrayhead
    Anime Lover

jmurrayhead Staff Member Moderator

Style:
    AdEx 4.0 Fixed
    That was hilarious and actually, I think, very effective.
  15. Mike54
    Innocent

Mike54 Well-Known Member

Don't get too comfortable, because Lamar Smith is not going to roll over and play dead.

16. Biker
    WTF

Biker Kiss my arse!

What do you expect from a bunch of clueless technophobes who salivate at the prospect of juicy payouts from Hollywood?
  17. smackLAN
    Bored

smackLAN Squirrel!!!

The only thing that would make me happy is if there was some way to put a boot up the asses of all those skin thieves I've had to deal with over the years. Shutting them down? - Couldn't care less. Baseball bat to the kneecaps? - I'm all for that. :thumbsup:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Azhria Lilu
    Amused

Liquid Web:-

19. Onimua
    Murderous

Onimua Active Member

I said this on Twitter, but it's damn amazing to see the internet come together on something like this.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Forsaken
    Overworked

Forsaken Well-Known Member

SOPA/PIPA wouldn't have protected your work as you're not a big company.

The vast majority of these bills that are backed by the RIAA/MPAA aren't to help copyright holders so much as it is to help them, which is why I am so against all of the things they've supported.