Deleting Posts/Threads

Discussion in 'Administrating Your Community' started by Azhria Lilu, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Azhria Lilu
    Amused

Azhria Lilu Make the stupid people shut up.

On most forum softwares, there's are two methods of deleting items - a) not completely remove them from the database, but either move them to a trashcan facility (IPB) or use "soft" delete, which keeps the post in its original position but removes it from view or B) completely remove it from the database. And, of course, every forum has occasions where its necessary to remove posts or even entire threads.

Personally I prefer not to completely delete things with no possible way of bringing it back just in case I need to review it again later.

What's your preference? Completely remove or just remove a post/thread from view.
  2. gogoblender
    Twisted

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

We actually send all our deletes to a garbage can, admins only. I feel safer regarding accidental deletes this way. Soft deletes ftw

:)

gogo
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Lab-lovers
    Bored

Lab-lovers Well-Known Member

I also use a trashcan forum, that only admins can view so if a mod deletes a post it get moves here, and then i can review it and restore it with necessary.
  4. trombone13
    Musical

trombone13 Well-Known Member

I always soft-delete in case I need to see things later. It's how I was "raised" to do so as a staff member on another forum, so it's carried over to how I moderate my own site.
  5. Martin
    Boxed In

Martin Scientia Potentia Est Supporting Member

I do in some cases physically remove it, wiping it off the database entirely etc... (vBulletin) but mostly only move them to a "trashcan" solution. Only things such as very offensive posts (racism, sexism etc..) I remove completely, the rest ends up in a trashcan.
  6. Bubka3
    English

Bubka3 Well-Known Member

I try'ed using Trash Can, but I always ending up hitting Delete, and the post is destoryed.
  7. Wizzard
    Cheerful

Wizzard ADX Dungeon Master

I physically remove spam posts.
  8. Barry
    Mooooody

Barry Supporting Member

Spam and posts made in error get completely deleted. Anything else is soft deleted (trashcan), in other words, archived.

When I do housekeeping I'll empty the trashcan from time to time.
  9. cpvr

cpvr Well-Known Member

If its just spam, we delete it, or move to trash can. Why? So you can know who are spammers, and things like that - sometimes spams gets through the system, and when I have threads in the trash can, I merge them into one thread,
  10. Mike54
    Innocent

Mike54 Well-Known Member

About the only posts I ever delete are duplicate posts, made in error or obvious spam posts. Anything else gets archived. I always like to keep my backside covered, just in case.
  11. Ryan Ashbrook
    Angelic

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer Supporting Member

Style:
    AdEx 3.0
    Spam posts get physically removed. Anything gets sent to a Trash Can forum.
  12. CM404

CM404 Well-Known Member

I prefer to transfer unnecessary or inappropriate posts over to a "Trash Can" forum where team members can further discuss the matter if need be. Physically deleting posts never seems like a viable move to me, particularly considering that you may need to reference back in the future... for whatever reason.

As Ryan does, I will of course physically remove spam posts.
  13. zappaDPJ
    Balanced

zappaDPJ Staff Member Administrator

Style:
    AdEx 4.0
    Soft delete or dump box (hidden forum) whatever the content is. I never hard delete or allow my admins that privilege because I find deleted material often needs to be reviewed for one reason or another.
  14. Shawn Gossman
    Cowboy

Shawn Gossman Well-Known Member

I don't allow anyone to delete thread and posts on my forum. I don't like the soft delete look so I have them move the threads/posts to a special hidden board called Post Storage. This keeps my post counts up and allows me to have a post saved in case I need it later for evidence or reference.
  15. Renegader

Renegader Well-Known Member

Not to mention, it makes your forum look more active!
  16. Ryan Ashbrook
    Angelic

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer Supporting Member

Style:
    AdEx 3.0
    It's not even that. Keeping the posts allows you to keep an accurate representation of how many posts have been made. Very useful for statistics to monitor posting trends, which should be monitor by administrators just as often as they should be posting themselves.

If someone makes a post that breaks the rules and is removed, I would still like that post to count towards my statistics because it IS a legitimate post, despite it's removal.
  17. Tillian

Tillian Active Member

I also prefer to use the trashcan way, moving all old/no longer needed threads to a board which is only seen by the administrators.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dilip
    Angelic

Dilip Staff Member Moderator

Style:
    AdEx 3.0
    Forum trash can.